Most of us are getting tired of watching race riots on television, like the recent ones in Charlotte, N.C., after another police shooting of a black person. We don’t know all the details of this most recent event, like whether the victim emerged from his car with a book or a gun. We can’t imagine a book being mistaken for a gun, but we will have to wait and see after the investigation is completed. This time the officer and victim were both black and the victim reportedly disregarded the officer’s commands.
We have to ask ourselves why does this keep happening and why are blacks so quick to react by gathering to protest and then rapidly escalate to damaging private property, vandalism and looting? They don’t seem to be concerned about the facts and utilize social media to gather supporters in a hurry.
First of all, let’s start at the top. In a July 13 dailywire.com/news article, Aaron Bandler offers statistics about black-on-black crime. “President Barack Obama has no problem making disgusting, untrue assertions about cops being racist at a funeral for murdered cops, yet does not give major speeches on the epidemic of black-on-black crime,” Bandler writes. He offers seven statistics that he says the president will not address.
1. Data shows that 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by other blacks. Nobody talks about that.
2. Blacks commit violent crimes at 7 to 10 times the rate that whites do, according to The Wall Street Journal’s (WSJ) Jason Riley who said the white crime rate is “much lower than the black rate.” Blacks committed 52 percent of homicides between 1980 and 2008 despite making up only 13 percent of the population. In the same time period, whites committed 45 percent of homicides while composing 77 percent of the population, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.
3. Black crime is even more prevalent in the country’s largest cities and counties. The nation’s third largest city, Chicago, recorded its 500th homicide over the Labor Day weekend, which put 2016 on track to be the deadliest in 20 years there. Blacks commit 76 percent of all homicides while making up 35 percent of the city’s population. Blacks also account for 78 percent of all juvenile arrests. Whites make up 28 percent of the city’s population and commit 4 percent of its homicides and 3.5 percent of its juvenile arrests.
4. There were almost 6,000 blacks killed by other blacks in 2015. By contrast, 258 blacks were killed by police gunfire in the same year.
5. The percentage of blacks arrested for crimes is consistent with police reports. As 13 percent of the population today, blacks are responsible for an inordinate amount of crime. Between 1976 and 2005 blacks committed more than half of all murders in the United States.The black arrest rate for most offenses like robbery, aggravated assault and property crimes is typically two to three times their representative population.
6. WSJ’s Riley says “black crime rates were lower in the 1940s and 1950s when black poverty was higher” and “racial discrimination was rampant and legal.” What has happened since then?
7. According to Heather MacDonald, author of “The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Safe,” “A straight line can be drawn between family breakdown and youth violence.” This should come as no surprise. Economist Thomas Sowell said before the 1960s “most black children were raised in two-parent families.” In 2013 over 72 percent of blacks were born out of wedlock. In Cook County (Chicago) 79 percent of blacks were born to single mothers in 2003 compared to 15 percent of whites born to single mothers.
As MacDonald says, “Until that gap closes, the crime gap won’t close either.” That is a huge challenge.